Friday, January 13, 2012

Hola, Quesadilla!

I love Mexican food. Love it! I could literally eat it every day. The spicy and crunchy nature of a taco, for example, satisfies the craving for heat, flavor and texture in a way few other foods can. I admit, when I'm eating Mexican it's usually at a restaurant. But I do make tacos and quesadillas.

Chicken quesadillas are a regular offering at my house. My version features red, yellow, and orange peppers, onions and just enough kick to get your taste buds dancing without rendering them numb. Of course, if you're someone who likes super, extra spicy, that's all adjustable in the seasoning.

I start with about one pound of chicken breasts, which I slice thinly and sauté in olive oil and garlic. To keep things juicy, but not soggy, I spray my pan with olive oil cooking spray, and then add a small amount of olive oil to that.

As soon as the chicken is cooked through, I add one sliced onion and sliced red, yellow and orange peppers to the pan. I cook that until the veggies are wilted but still somewhat crisp.  Limp veggies = soggy quesadillas.  Better to stop cooking sooner than later so your quesadillas retain a slight crunchiness.

At that point I add my seasoning. One tablespoon of chili powder, two tablespoons of Konriko Chipotle seasoning, and a few shakes of Tabasco is standard for me. Depending on who I'm feeding, I may adjust those ratios to make the quesadillas hotter or milder. A good rule of thumb is to start mild and increase the heat to your liking.

To assemble the quesadillas, put a layer of the chicken and veggies on a flour tortilla. Top with a handful of Mexican cheese and another tortilla. While you can cook these in a frying pan, this is a great time to drag out your Panini press if you have one. I rarely use mine for Panini's, but use it regularly for my quesadillas. It melts the cheese and toasts the tortillas quickly and there is no flipping required so all your filling stays where it's supposed to.

Once the quesadillas are slightly toasted, I cut them into four triangles and top with a little guacamole or salsa and dig in. Add chips, salsa and a margarita and you've got yourself a fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment